Thursday, 12:00 noon, standing in line at my local post office. I wanted to purchase 25 Christmas stamps – the gingerbread house version – to affix to the Christmas greeting cards I am sending this year. Yes, I could have saved time by just slapping the every-day version of stamps I have on the cards, but it is so much more festive to use the stamps designed for the season.
I was about sixth in line and every one of those people in front of me had one or more packages for the clerk to process. One guy had a large box with about 20 small packages inside that needed postage!
Oh, and it was lunch time, so there was only one clerk! I assume the other was on his break. (Note to self: don’t go to the PO at lunch time.)
Really, I’m quite amazed at how patiently I awaited my turn. Fortunately, I had no place else to be for several hours – that helped me wait calmly.
But, I started thinking of ways one might pass time while waiting in line during the holiday season.
Here are some ideas for you if you find yourself in this situation -
- The obvious – use your smart phone to:
- check emails and text messages
- send an email or text message – the latter being what I chose to do in this situation
- make a phone call – though this could be considered rude by those around you
- make a move in your word game
- check new Facebook posts or make one
- take a selfie (at the risk of those around you thinking you are very self-centered)
- Practice your deep breathing technique to relieve stress.
- Shop for holiday cards or colorful package wrapping materials that are abundantly available for sale in the PO.
- Eavesdrop on the phone conversation the person in front of you is having.
- Critique the apparel of those standing in line with you (in your mind, unless you are really bold!).
- Smile and/or chat with your fellow in-line standers.
- Make a list – mentally, written, or in the notes on your phone
- Pull the book, Kindle or tablet you carry in your bag for just such occasions, and read a chapter of your book.
- Chip off your old nail polish.
- Try to remain calm and realize waiting in line is just part of the holiday bustle.
DON’T LET IT GET YOU DOWN!